miércoles, 7 de marzo de 2007

Guatemalan KKK?

Okay so not really, but that´s what the Encapachados (or something like that) remind me of. This week the university students have been dressing in gowns alot like the KKK, only purple or sometimes green, complete with face masks and pointy caps. Then they go out into the streets blocking traffic and demanding ¨donations¨. I don´t think they´re actually dangerous (I refused them money, and they didn´t do anything) but they do look pretty intimidating. And I guess if you´re in a car, it´s alittle harder to get past them. Even though this is very much illegal the police do absolutely nothing because they´re essentially afraid and powerless. The few times they have intervened in the past, I´m told it got pretty violent and resulted in the deaths of several police officers. It´s kind of like the donations the university students require of local businesses. Those who don´t pay up the required amount get their business painted over. On a predetermined night, they all parade down the street singing and carrying on and make a big party of it. Again, the police leave them alone because they can´t really stop them.

On a side note, I saw a headline reporting that the KKK is alive and well in the US and is now targeting the Hispanic population. I didn´t get to read the actual article, can someone tell me if it has any legitimacy and what the deal is with that?

1 comentario:

Sam Travaglini dijo...

I'm not sure how it relates to Hispanics, but this article says that they're starting to target pretty much all immigrants. You can have a read if you like.
http://www.pottstownmercury.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18037867&BRD=1674&PAG=461&dept_id=18038&rfi=6